Thanks to my colleague Dany Louise for pointing out this great article by Sola Agustsson at Alternet: Why the Contemporary Art World Is Insufferable, Corrupted by the Super-Rich. Spoilers:
- Art collectors treat art as an investment.
- Art is a spectacle.
- Conceptual art is a joke.
- Art factories steal souls.
- Art school is kind of a scam.
- Women artists and artists of colo(u)r are sidelined.
- Money for art in public schools is dwindling (the USA kind, i.e publicly funded, not private schools)
Agustsson is absolutely bang on with every one of these points and I know a lot of the Career Suicide Squad will agree too; read the article.